About The Candidate
- Married, Kathleen Shannon; two boys, Ryan, 9 and Danny, 7
- Education: Traverse City Central High School, University of Chicago, Michigan State University/Michigan Political Leadership Program
- Council of State Governments’ Leadership School
- Business; Manager of the Captain’s Quarters Men’s Store, downtown Traverse City
- Boardman Neighborhood Association
- Traverse City Kiwanis Club
- Trout Unlimited
- National Rifle Association
- Grand Traverse Area Right to Life Association
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Northwest Michigan
WORKING TO FIX STATE GOVERNMENT
- Chairman of the House Commerce committee; leading the charge to pass legislation that streamlines government regulation and creates jobs.
- Member of the Natural Resources, Transportation and Health Policy committees; helping to create a leaner, more efficient government bureaucracy.
- Crafted and passed a responsible budget which turned a $1.5 billion deficit into a $500 million surplus and reduced Michigan’s debt by $5.6 billion.
- Championed additional, stable funding for the extremely successful Pure Michigan campaign.
- Supported legislation cutting legislator & staff pay and benefits, and reducing office budgets.